Church of St. Lovre
West of the fortified church of St. Mary of Mercy is the parish church of St.Lovrinac with 5 altars. It dates back to the 15th century, and has been adapted to the Baroque style in the 17th century. It has kept its Baroque image to this day. The parish church had been burnt twice over the course of history. The first time was in 1512 during a rebellion and again in 1571 when the Turks invaded. The interior of the church hides priceless artistic treasures – one of the richest art collections in Dalmatia. The main altar is decorated with art-work centering on St. Lovre with the Madonna while on its sides showing "Ivan Krstitelj and Nikola". The rest of it shows St. Lovro leading the poor to the emperor Valerijan and St. Lovro's torments. Tradition has it this is the work of Tizian Vecelio, but modern history says a painter by the name Pavlo Cagliari aka Veronese had done it in the 1480s.
The ceiling of the church contains paintings of images of the Father and the Son and "Maria's coronation" surrounded by eminent church officials. These were done by an unknown artist in the 18th century. The side altars and walls show works of masters such as Jacopo de Ponte Bassana, Giuseppe Alabardi, Antonio Scuria, Celestino Medović, Marko Rašica and others.
Due to damp problems in the fortress church, numerous valuable paintings are being kept here as well, also the beautiful baroque cross of Tizian Aspetti made by Benvenuto Cellina.
Opening hours: 10.00 - 12.00 / 19.30 - 21.00 h