Located at the entrance of the harbour and mentioned in the Hvar legal statutes in 1331 as a border between Pitve and Vrbanj when there were still no Vrboska nor Jelsa, the Church of St Petar is considered one of the oldest churches on the island.
During the rule of the patriarch Harnotić (1469), the church was rebuilt. St. Peter's statue, the work of Nikola Fiorentinac, is kept at the parish church. A copy of the original stands in front of the church.
The church and the bell above the door were reconstructed in 1999.